Thursday, July 2, 2009

Baking Escapades, Southern Belles and Our Nation's Birthday

Hello Bloggies,
(blog readers...would be bleaders!? eww... Blog Homies....Blomies? Blog Peepes....Bleeps...none of those are good)

Editors Note: This entire post should be read in a Scarlett O'Hara accent.

Hello darlin's! It has been dreadful long since I last picked up my pen and detailed the goings-on of my dreadfully boring life for ya'll. Please do accept my sincerest apologies for that.
Okay, enough with the Scarlett crap.

I have been so busy the past few weeks! June has indeed been a crazy month for me! It all started a few weeks ago with the serendipitous beginning of my cake "business" My friend Crystal was having a baby shower and she asked moi to make her cake. I was flattered obviously...but...a cake...for in public? For a shower with people I don't know!?! I was terrified. Somehow I got it in my genius (read:STUPID) head that I wanted to do a beautiful fondant cake.
Yep.
Fondant.

Never touched the stuff in my life. (besides peeling it off of cakes I was consuming)

So, it was at that point I decided I better practice first. Birthday of a co-worker coming up? Check. Fabulous.

So it was at that point I decided I wanted to make Marshmallow Fondant, so everyone would be able to eat it. (Gorgeous and tasty!)

Well, turns out practice cake was a success. Check this puppy out:
*insert applause here*
Then, the very next week I would be tackling the "for real" shower cake.

And, I don't mean to brag or anything (okay, yeah I do) but it turned out amazing! I was so happy (as was Mommy-to-be) Check it out!
*insert standing ovation here*

So this pretty much lead to a bunch of people saying they know such and such who needs a cake for such and such and they would pass my name along.
Thennn, I figured if I was actually going to turn this into something on the side, I should probably have some sort of card to hand out with my name on it.
Thus, Daisy Belle Cakes was born. Check out my marketing:
The next weekend was girls weekend to Charleston, SC...which also happened to be my Birthday weekend...whoo hoo! We had a fabulous time. It was hot as Satan's Balls, and we almost got killed by a tornado...but other than that, a fabulous time was had by all!

Here are the Millers three...

We celebrated with birthday fudge at 12:01am June 28th.
Enjoying the mornings on the porch....ET, Mom and Maw Maw
Jeanne and ET in the midst of "Operation: Harbor Cruise '09"

Obligatory Scenery Picture: Charles River Bridge...pretty isn't it?
We also spent the afternoon at Folly Beach on the 28th. It was great. Sand between the toes, sticky salt water skin the whole 9. We ate at the restaurant at the pier. There was a lobster machine outside. Yep, I said it. A lobster machine. Picture an arcade stuffed animal machine, but with lobsters. Fascinating.

We had a ton of good food while we were there. Ate at:

The Noisy Oyster (Downtown Charleston)
The Buccaneer
and
(among others)

Yay for seafood!
I have tons more pictures posted here: Facebook Charleston Weekend Photo Album

Now is the point in this post that you are expected to feel jealous of me. Very jealous.

This weekend (as we all know) is our Nations Birthday...yep...Independence Day, 4th of July....call it what you will.

We have plans to spend the day on this:

On the lake called Lanier.
With the Family called Tingley, and Taylor and Deitrich and...a bunch of other peeps whom which I do not know. But, a fun time will be had by all. No doubt.
Stay tuned for pics of the dessert goodies I have planned to take! You will die!
Okay my lovelies, I hope you have a fun and safe 4th of July!

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

THOSE CAKES ARE AMAZING!!!!! at least as good as Ace of Cakes if not better!! (then again I have issues with Ace of Cakes, will explain on the boat!)
ET saiid she had a great time in Charleston!